How to Avoid Trouble in Las Vegas

Signs in Vegas indicating the need for an attorney in New York to help with troubles stemming from Las Vegas

If it’s time to leave the city and get out of town, many people head towards Las Vegas. While the city has pretty much shaken it’s “sin city” image, there are a few things you need to remember.

Being Drunk in Public Is Not a Crime — Sometimes

Nevada is not like most states where it is a crime to be publicly drunk. If you are 21, or over, you can even walk around the Strip with a drink in your hand without worrying about getting a ticket for an open container. Keep in mind though that there are still some things you can’t legally do. If you get drunk with your rowdy friends — or even drunk and rowdy by yourself — you are going to face some consequences. It is still a criminal act in Las Vegas to disturb the peace by being disruptive or hostile while out in public. You are also eligible for a DUI if you’re caught drinking and driving.

Visibly Drunk? Forget About Gambling

Under Nevada law, casinos are not allowed to let anyone who is visibly drunk to gamble. Also, you can forget those complimentary drinks if it appears to the casino staff that you are drunk.

Medicinal Marijuana Only

While Nevada is one of the states where it is legal to have marijuana if you have a valid prescription, it still is illegal to possess pot without the license. Caught with an ounce or less may get you a fine of up to $600.

Talk To — But Don’t Touch — The Animals

You’ll find plenty of exotic animals in Las Vegas. There might even be one in the lobby of your hotel. But just look at them, don’t touch.

Getting Married?

If you’re planning on tying the knot in Vegas, make doubly sure the person that will do the officiating has a Certificate of Authority (COA). Ministers, religious leaders and notary publics can apply for the certificate. It’s even possible that online credentials could qualify a person for the certificate if the individual is in good standing with a religious organization, and is ordained by that group. If you’re coming from out-of-state to get hitched, and bringing the minister with you, they can apply for permission to perform a single ceremony.

Getting into a little harmless trouble might be fun on vacation, getting into legal trouble could have long term consequences. If you need help, be sure to contact an experienced attorney.

It’s one way to make sure that “What happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas.”

We are available 24/7 Call Now (212) 671-0936